DRAGONFLY EMBROIDERY CLUB JUNE 19, 2021
INSTRUCTOR - YVONNE MENEAR firstname.lastname@example.org
SKILL LEVEL - ALL LEVELS WELCOME
SKILL DETAILS - ALL EMBROIDERY MACHINE OWNERS
REQUIREMENTS - EMBROIDERY MACHINE WITH CAPABILITY OF 5 X 7 INCH (125MM X 175MM) STITCH FIELD AS A MINIMUM OR LARGER
Class time is 9 - 4pm. Bring a drink and lunch in closed containers for consumption during class.
More details to follow! Check back often to learn more.
Embroidery Club will consist of 1) stitch files provided by the instructor each month, 2) lesson on how to create the stitch designs including thread choice, stabilizer to use, and hooping techniques, 3) help with how to use your machine functions to produce the optimum stitch results. Stitch files are exclusive to Dragonfly only and can not be acquired anywhere else.
Make sure you arrive early and be set up ready to go at 9am.
Supplies to bring every month of attendance-
• Machine in good working order (cleaned it lately?)
• Power cord for machine, extension cord, embroidery arm attachment, embroidery hoops, templates for placement if your hoops have them, appropriate embroidery feet, tools provided with your machine, machine user manual if you are not completely familiar all with the functions of your machine
• A spare bobbin case that you can use to change the tension settings that has been clearly marked so you know it is separate from the embroidery bobbin case that came with the machine
• Spare bobbins to wind. You can also use pre-wound bobbins. Black and white thread bobbins are used most often in stitching your designs. You do not need to match your color to your top thread unless you are creating free standing embroidery designs. Some machines require a specific bobbin so make sure your spare bobbins are correct for your machine.
• USB stick (2 gig or less is ideal for transfer of designs) with your name and file format needed for your machine clearly written on the stick for transfer of designs to your machine. (If you have an older model machine and use a reader/writer card or flash card to transfer designs you will need to bring that.) All Janome machines require that you format your USB stick to your machine before stitch files can be added to the stick.
• Assortment of needles for the machine. Embroidery needles size 11-16, topstitch needles size 12-16
• Stabilizer assortment including tear away, wash away, fusible web for applique patterns, and polymesh (all available at Dragonfly). Have at least 1 meter of each type on hand for classes.
• 505 spray adhesive (If sprays are compromising to your health, then you will need to use sticky back stabilizer for your projects.)
• Assortment of colors of threads for class. Rayon thread is OK if you do not intend to wash your finished designs (rayon can bleed). I prefer to use Polyester trilobal threads as they produce the high sheen that is desired and do not run when washed, will not melt when ironed, or won’t be effected when dried in a hot dryer. (All thread types are available at Dragonfly). Polyester threads do not have the lint associated with other threads. From time to time we may indeed use a wool, speciality thread, or cotton thread to create the design we use, but it will be listed as a thread choice for the individual monthly class. Otherwise, trilobal polyester thread is a good choice that can be used in all classes.
• Bobbin thread is usually 60 -80 weight thread and is ideal in embroidery designs. The finer your embroidery thread, the less bulky and stiff your embroidery designs will be. (Bobbin thread sold at Dragonfly)
• Any speciality threads needed for a design will be listed in the monthly design supplies that are on top of any basic supplies needed for every monthly class.
• Background fabrics of your choice. Embroidery shows up best against solid or tone on tone fabrics that read as a solid. Printed fabrics detract from the embroidery designs. I often use muslin or plain white or black cotton fabrics when testing a design. Pure white fabrics work great when you want to add fabric painting to your embroidery designs. More expensive fabrics can be reserved for projects in which you want to create overall designs that coordinate with each other.
• Scissors, thread snips, applique scissors, along with a small cutting mat, rotary cutter, small ruler to have at your table. There will be a large cutting table in the class that is shared by all if you choose. Make sure all your tools have your name on them to identify them as your personal belonging.
• Ironing station will be available in class. Do not bring extra mini irons to use.
JUNE 2021 UNIQUE SUPPLIES FOR CLASS
We are using both tear-away stabilizer with fabrics that are either solid or tone on tone without a distinct print to them. The stitch files we are uses are open/air designs and a print fabric will not highlight the stitches very well. You may choose to use the same fabric or different colors of fabrics for your background to the stitch files. You will need an assortment of thread colors dark to light shades for the design in standard 40 wt. embroidery threads. Variegate threads will work well with some of the stitch files.
3 Some of these stitch files will work well to be sewn on garments. If you are going to sew on a readymade garment, you will need a wash away stabilizer.
NOTE: If you choose to sew on a ready-made garment, please pre-wash it first so it will not shrink after the designs are stitched. Shrinking fabrics after sewing the design will distort the designs.
For this class, please bring a garment that is either cotton, or poly cotton woven fabric that is pre-washed. You may also choose to stitch some of these designs onto a pre-made canvas bag. Do not bring a t-shirt. We will deal with stitching on stretch fabrics in another class. All designs will fit into a 5 x 7-inch (125 by 175 mm) stitch field.
If you are choosing to stitch on a ready made garment, you will need to bring a wash away marking pen to mark your placement of the design on the garment. If your hoop comes with a plastic template to show exactly where the stitch field is with cross-markings for center of the design, please bring the template for your hoop also as it makes placement much more accurate. Some embroidery machine companies include the templates with the hoops, and some have a template, but you need to special order it as a separate item.
There is a total of 9 designs for this class. Your choice of threads will make a difference in how the designs will look. These are all open designs that have a string stitching effect. They are not heavily filled and look more like string art than anything else.
|Requirements: ||REQUIREMENTS - EMBROIDERY MACHINE WITH CAPABILITY OF 5 X 7 INCH (125MM X 175MM) STITCH FIELD AS A MINIMUM OR LARGER|
|Instructor: ||Yvonne Menear|